Monday, April 2, 2007

Proof (x7) that God has a sense of humor






In my profile, I mention the fact that I am a cat hoarder. At least, that's what I would be called if the animal police got hold of me. I wound up with 5 of them through various situations, and then inherited 2 more when my mom died in December. I now have 7 of the beasts. I guess that is one of the reasons I live alone -- no one else would put up with the endless cat-box (4 of them) and vacuuming duties. I am lucky to have a Main Man who is, though allergic, extremely tolerant.

My feline friends are a (mostly) enjoyable source of endless entertainment. The variety of personalities I have living in my house is incredible.

Chronologically, there is Bug, a grey tabby who was left at the vet by a woman giving a false name and address to receive shots while she went shopping. She would be happiest if she could sit in my lap 24/7. Goose is a calico who chose my front door to yowl at -- sopping wet -- on a rainy day. Her favorite spot in the house is next to me. LC showed up on my front tire and refused to be daunted by several attempts at relocation until I took her home with me -- on my birthday. She is the only long hair, and most of my knitting and crocheted items contain her DNA. My two rescue cats are Jack, the sleek black monster who feels it is his mission in life to good-naturedly torture his 6 other species/ house-mates; and Cricket with white feet and white bib, who likes to suck on my earlobes when I am trying to get a few hours sleep between work shifts. Baxter was my Mom's love-bug and is a yellow, blue-eyed adventurer -- the only one of them who is allowed into the great outdoors -- only because Mom allowed this and I cannot dissuade him. Last, and least in size, is Mooch, a sweet and shy tortoise shell (the other of Mom's with a tragic past) who has taken over the spare bedroom.

There is a section in my house appropriately named the "Kitty Korner". It is the spot that has several cat trees and scratching posts (like that does any good) with optimal views of the bird feeders outside. They let me think that I have given them that part of my house -- the truth is, they have infested my entire home! The upside to all of this is that I have virtually no insects or rodents in my house.

I love the time of day when I get out of the shower and see 5 or 6 of them sitting in various places in the bathroom, staring at me as if I were completely insane to willingly subject myself to that type of torment. At that particular time of day, we have our specific personal greetings -- one wants to lick the water out of my hair, one stares sweetly at me until I give her the usual kiss on the head, the black monster likes to rub against my wet legs (I don't know why he actually likes this vicarious contact with water). They are my company -- my family. I thank God for them all -- for the infinite nature of His creativeness and for the daily proof that He has a sense of humor.

1 comment:

tigbeane said...

Are you sure you've never done this before? This is great! About the kats, when my mom died and my dad remarried we inherited their animals, one kat, one dog. A couple of years ago the dog decided, suddenly one night, it was her house and she wasn't sleeping in the laundry room any longer. She moved into our room and that was that. We always thought she must have figured she lived here longer and we could just deal with it. So we did.